Are there plans for everything to have an extension/plugin system?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

Are there plans for everything to have an extension/plugin system?

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Are there plans for 1.5 to support user extensibility?

Some kind of extensive scripting interface, to develop third party extensions or plug-ins for implementing new features into the GUI.

This scripting interface could be used to
  • Create a new panels
  • Pre-process raw data such as xml/json data before they are populated into columns/properties
  • Hook on to some system events or even Everything events and have a function or some code called back before and/or after said event
Just general stuff really. Some software's allow you to use Jscript (deprecated MS version of Javascript) to accomplish similar tasks.

For some time now I have noticed a plugin list being maintained but I believe they were recently changed from "installed by default" to optional.

I dont much about this plug in system though and I tried looking for information, such as what language Everything expects them to be in, and any api/interface documentations.

I know the SDK is used to get access to the DB and offers full feature set. I am asking about the official everything GUI and means of extending its feature set.
void
Developer

Re: Are there plans for everything to have an extension/plugin system?

Post by void »

For Everything 1.5, plugins will be primarily for low level read access to the Everything database.
The main goal for Everything 1.5 plugins was to make the HTTP/ETP/FTP servers optional.

I plan to open source the HTTP/ETP/FTP server plugins once out of alpha.

Javascript support to customize the UI might happen in a future version.
Indexing, properties and content plugins are on my TODO list.
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Okay this clarifies things much better now. Looking forward to see how Everything comes along for sure
DerekZiemba

Post by DerekZiemba »

void wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:05 am Javascript support to customize the UI might happen in a future version.
JS seems heavy & complicated. LUA might be lighter and simpler to integrate.

I just want to write my own search functions. Defining complicated MACROS on a single line is painful.