Everything .efu date accessed (deja vu?)

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Herkules97

Everything .efu date accessed (deja vu?)

Post by Herkules97 »

So I found out from here that you can enable several filelist options.
I almost have a deja vu that I asked about date accessed and there was something to be enabled. Maybe that was when I had 1.4 and options existed only in 1.5 and I didn't switch at the time or I switched and forgot to enable those.

Anyway, if the "filelist" changes in the advanced tab were the ones I had to enable..How do I actually get date accessed to save?
All other extra stuff like allocation size gets added in efu exports now, but accessed is still not showing up?
The data is missing from the file, not that EBV isn't loading it.

I have been exporting as efu, json and csv this entire time, but efu exports filetime when the other two exports normal time. At least I have some version of date accessed for my exports, but..
As efu works completely, or seems to, with EBV it would be nice if it also exported all columns that were active at the time.
This way I don't have to bother using something like MS Excel or LO Calc.

After coming home, where I can be sure I never turned on the default-off filelist options, my .efus here have the extra properties so I'm not sure what "filelist_properties" is meant to do as it still misses date accessed and extra properties are already exported with it off.
void
Developer

Re: Everything .efu date accessed (deja vu?)

Post by void »

Everything avoids exporting personal information.

I will consider an option to export date accessed.

Enabling filelist_properties allows Everything to gather properties for items in your file lists, such as Length, Width, Height, etc...
Everything will avoid gathering properties for filelists by default as they are designed for files that are offline.
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

void wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:13 am Everything avoids exporting personal information.

I will consider an option to export date accessed.

Enabling filelist_properties allows Everything to gather properties for items in your file lists, such as Length, Width, Height, etc...
Everything will avoid gathering properties for filelists by default as they are designed for files that are offline.
What does personal information mean? Are there options to disable restrictions on whatever that is? I haven't actually been looking into my exports, they seem fine at a quick glance but I just save them, I don't really use them. Hopefully they aren't missing any fields besides date accessed.

For the filelist option, this is unclear to me as columns dictate what is exported. Does the option ignore columns and export everything it can find on the live files?

Speaking of properties, does any properties indexed where there is nothing on the file still take space(near the amount it would take if there were something there)?
If half of files have a certain property at 400KB total for all of them, does it still take the 800KB for all files?
void
Developer

Post by void »

What does personal information mean?
Everything treats date accessed as personal information.
File lists are designed to be shared.
Do you really want others to know when files were last accessed?

Are there options to disable restrictions on whatever that is?
Currently, no.

One work around is to index the Windows Property System Date Accessed.

Date accessed and 'indexed values' (values calculated from the index such as regmatch1, child count, stem, etc..) are not exported when using EFU.

Consider exporting as CSV instead.
Set the csv_type advanced setting to Filename:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    csv
  • Select: csv_type
  • Set the value to: Filename
  • Click OK.
Exporting as CSV will now create an EFU compatible file list with all visible columns exported.

Speaking of properties, does any properties indexed where there is nothing on the file still take space(near the amount it would take if there were something there)?
Yes and no..

Some examples:

If you index length for *.mp3 files then only mp3 files will consume space for the length value.

If the mp3 is broken and has no length value, it will still consume space for the unknown length value.

If you index width for all files, then an extra 4 bytes will be require for all files.
This is only 4MB per 1million files.
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

void wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:14 amEverything treats date accessed as personal information.
File lists are designed to be shared.
Do you really want others to know when files were last accessed?
I'm not sharing file lists, so that isn't an issue. Plus date accessed is such a sensitive state.
When I export it's meant to store the date accessed for that particular session, as it is easily updated.
I think one way it can update is looking at it in a certain way, I'm not sure.
Opening it in properties seems to be one.
Sometimes a program can touch the file, like Windows Defender, and that updates it.
I don't know what sort of value there is in knowing when a file has been touched even if I were to share it.

Also what more is "personal information"? Is it only the ones explicitly mentioned below, date accessed and "Indexed" values?
Because csv exports "Date Indexed" just fine. Maybe you meant efu is the one that can't export that.
Is csv with filename toggle just an improved version of efu and I can skip exporting with efu if I use it? In other words, does csv ensure all columns are exported?
Because if so, the whole system version thing right below this is null, as that only applies to efu and I could stop using efu.
From my comparisons, it does look like csv is just better. But I don't know enough to know if there may be a deficit in the future that I could know about now if I ask about it.
Currently, no.

One work around is to index the Windows Property System Date Accessed.

Date accessed and 'indexed values' (values calculated from the index such as regmatch1, child count, stem, etc..) are not exported.
Is there a benefit or deficit to using that system or are they about the same except exports with efu will have these "personal information" items if it's from the system version?
Should I switch to using that instead if I want more accurate exports into the future? I suppose if the only thing that isn't exported is date accessed, that's the only one that I may need to index with the system version and the rest can keep being the current ones.
Do I have to change the system language if I want the system version columns in a different language or can EBV translate them? It's minor, but I'm still curious.
Set the csv_type advanced setting to Filename
Exporting as CSV will now create an EFU compatible file list with all visible columns exported.
I've already been exporting everything as efu, json and csv, but..
I tested the filename one and now it exports in filetime.
I presume there is no way to convert the name and path ones to filename ones?
Because as they are right now, name and path versions can load almost no data for EBV and that's what all my csv exports have been up to this point.
Unless that compatibility already exists and I can flip that on somewhere.
If you index width for all files, then an extra 4 bytes will be require for all files.
This is only 4MB per 1million files.
"Only" is quite a lot with the amount of files I have. 208MB per property for one drive and I have 6 internal ones :D
Granted, the 208MB one is the largest of the 6.
That's probably why one of the more property heavy databases takes about 12.5GB.
So txts can't have many audio and/or video properties, but it's still taking the RAM for it?
No way it can take only 1 byte to say that the property does not exist for a file? It's still 52MB per property, but better than 4x that.
Saves some space when you're unsure if you should disable properties for a file type or if only some files of a file type have data in that field.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

EFU files are a standard and are formatted in a specific way.
This doesn't include Date Accessed.
If you want to export Date Accessed, use a different format, like CSV.

(not all filesystems supprt Date Accessed).
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

NotNull wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:33 pm EFU files are a standard and are formatted in a specific way.
This doesn't include Date Accessed.
If you want to export Date Accessed, use a different format, like CSV.

(not all filesystems supprt Date Accessed).
How is that helpful, my first message(I guess it's called the OP, original post) in this thread explicitly states I already export as csv and they have date accessed..
Please read thread before replying :(

Granted, revelation was made in what you presumably did not read that csv is the way to go with the type option changed. EBV actually recognises CSV now.
Anything more I say is just repetition of what's found above you.
I will repeat one thing, the default is name and path and EBV does not recognise that. I did not know that could be changed to a recognisable format.
There are still questions but like in other threads they will probably be ignored.
Maybe I should make new posts to get those questions answered or not. I don't know the future, if I want to bother converting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Also what more is "personal information"? Is it only the ones explicitly mentioned below, date accessed and "Indexed" values?
Only date accessed and indexed values.
Indexed values are calculated when shown, so there's little reason to store them in the EFU.
Use CSV if you want to export this information.

Because csv exports "Date Indexed" just fine. Maybe you meant efu is the one that can't export that.
Yes, only EFU files have this limitation.
All visible columns are exported when using CSV.

Is csv with filename toggle just an improved version of efu and I can skip exporting with efu if I use it?
Basically, yes.
CSV with the filename type is the same as an EFU.
These CSV files can be opened as file lists from File -> Open File List.

In other words, does csv ensure all columns are exported?
CSV exports columns that are shown.

Is there a benefit or deficit to using that system or are they about the same except exports with efu will have these "personal information" items if it's from the system version?
They are the same values.
There is some overhead when using the Windows Property System.
For a few thousand items there shouldn't be any noticeable performance difference.

Should I switch to using that instead if I want more accurate exports into the future?
Only if you want Date Accessed information in EFU files.

Do I have to change the system language if I want the system version columns in a different language or can EBV translate them? It's minor, but I'm still curious.
No translation is done for the Windows Property System.
Use Everything properties instead.

I've already been exporting everything as efu, json and csv, but..
I tested the filename one and now it exports in filetime.
EFU will export dates as FILETIMEs.
CSV (Name+Path type) will export dates as YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:ss
CSV (Filename type) will export dates as FILETIMEs.

I presume there is no way to convert the name and path ones to filename ones?
Not with Everything, no.

So txts can't have many audio and/or video properties, but it's still taking the RAM for it?
If you index audio properties for txt files, then yes.
Please make sure you set the 'Include only files' field to *.mp3;*.flac etc... for audio properties.

How is that helpful
It's helpful to others.
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

You say no as if some other program can convert it? I guess I can look at the files closer, but at least the times seem like they'd require something I am not aware of to batch process them.

Also my post already contained the info about csv, maybe you are thinking of the few that will happen to open the thread when the newest post links to his.
Because it is just a repetition. Sure that's helpful, but that applies to most things you can repeat.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Excel can convert FILETIMEs and combine Path + Name into Filename.

=TEXTJOIN("\",TRUE,B2,A2)