The problem of not deleting some files with different formats

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
SA05SH

The problem of not deleting some files with different formats

Post by SA05SH »

Hello

I search for a bunch of files in wav format and then I want to delete the ones I don't need, but after selecting them and using the delete button on the keyboard or from the delete option in the file menu, they are not deleted. Everything crashes even after right-clicking on them to select delete in the right-click menu. (video 1)

I found the problem. Some of the files listed in the Everything program cannot be deleted, I don't know why, and some of them can be deleted. Now, if we select the files that can be deleted with a file that cannot be deleted, these files will not be deleted in any way, and we have to go to the path of the non-deletable file with open path and delete it from there with Windows' delete option. (video 2)

This is the problem for many of the formats I searched, even formats like this:

._.DS_Store

._Frame Drum

_macos

video1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o849FP ... sp=sharing

video2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JSl5uh ... sp=sharing

Thank you
void
Developer

Re: The problem of not deleting some files with different formats

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

Please try forcing a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

Please make sure the full path length is less than 259 characters.

The crash on right click is most likely caused by a third party context menu shell extension.
Please try disabling context menu shell extensions in Everything:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /context_menu_shell_extensions=0
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, context_menu_shell_extensions=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
SA05SH

Post by SA05SH »

Thanks

This is a bug because I had this problem from a few years ago and every time I thought it would be fixed in the new version and I had a hard time sorting through hundreds of thousands of files. Even though I always did these things that you said, like Force Rebuild, I still did all the steps. The option tick was exactly what you said, but the same problem still exists.

I copied and pasted the following code or command according to what you said and hit enter and it is displayed in the status bar between 3 and 4 seconds: /context_menu_shell_extensions=0

The problem still exists.

For example, the files in the folder "TS22V 104- Whooshes" because they are in the path below, it cannot be deleted unless I go to the main path and delete it through Windows itself, as well as the folder "TS22V 103-Trailer FX"

F:\Users\myuser\Desktop\Drum\Drum\drum-1\drum-1\NEWFOL~1\10\MOVIE_~1\MOVIEE~1.1UL\TS22V 1- CINE SFX Vol 1 Ultimate Bundle- Timo Sell\TS22V 104- Whooshes

F:\Users\myuser\Desktop\Drum\Drum\drum-1\drum-1\NEWFOL~1\10\MOVIE_~1\MOVIEE~1.1UL\TS22V 1- CINE SFX Vol 1 Ultimate Bundle- Timo Sell\TS22V 103- Trailer FX

But I can delete the files that are in the folder in the following path:

F:\Users\myuser\Desktop\Drum\Drum\drum-1\drum-1\New folder\DNF_DRUM_HITS\DNF_SNARES

I copied the "TS22V 104-Whooshes" folder from that path to the desktop and searched for its files with Everything and found that its files can be deleted.

path on the desktop:

F:\Users\myuser\Desktop\TS22V 104- Whooshes

Note: I bought these files in packs produced by reputable companies, which are several terabytes in size, and the important thing is that the naming of the folders and files and their paths were done by those companies, and I only have them on the hard disk. I copied it to several different folders that are separate from each other

So maybe the problem is with the nested files and nested paths or the symbols in the names of the files and paths.
Please note that it is not important to delete individual files, but to delete several files together that exist in different paths, and I search based on the type of format, and for example, I want to delete 10 files at the same time. If even one of the 10 selected files cannot be deleted and 9 of them can be deleted, I cannot delete all 10 files because of the one that has a problem.

I hope I have been able to help improve this software.
Last edited by SA05SH on Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does the issue persist in Everything 1.5?
SA05SH

Post by SA05SH »

Thank you very much

I have tried nearly 100 files and it seems to have solved the problem. Of course, I have to categorize more than 100,000 other files, and if there is such a problem, I will inform you.

Although you wrote that the UI is under development, I must say that the sizes are very large and the previous sizes were suitable. For example, the size of menu bar, search box and status bar is better and more beautiful if they are as before. If we set the accent color to default, the non-standard size of the menu bar will be determined. It is better if the size of the menu bar and status bar are the previous size, and the search box should be a little smaller, but a little bigger than the previous size.

Also, I always use to set the font of the searched text to 18 (with my favorite font), but now even though I set it to 24, it is still smaller than the previous font size which was 18.

Also, I know the icon of this software with orange color, and even once you changed its color (maybe it was red), so I went to replace it with the orange icon from the previous versions. This color is also beautiful and maybe you want to make a change, but I think the orange color is part of the icon of this software, it is very beautiful on the taskbar. Because the icon of many softwares is red, this orange icon can be seen very well. Maybe you can put an option so that everyone can choose an icon based on their taste from two icons with red and orange color.
therube

Post by therube »

F:\Users\myuser\Desktop\Drum\Drum\drum-1\drum-1\NEWFOL~1\10\MOVIE_~1\MOVIEE~1.1UL\TS22V 1- CINE SFX Vol 1 Ultimate Bundle- Timo Sell\TS22V 104- Whooshes
Your directory names include path parts that are in the format of a Short File Name (SFN, 8.3).
\NEWFOL~1\10\MOVIE_~1\MOVIEE~1.1UL\
I'd think that is confusing the situation, where one end, NoScript is saying, hey, lets expand the names (or not), & the other end, Windows Explorer is not doing (or is doing) said expansion.
SA05SH

Post by SA05SH »

The path may be confusing for a human, but it is not confusing for software.

When I use the Windows 7 Search box, I have never had such a problem, not even one. So I thought it was a bug in Everything which seems to be fixed in the new version