long time running have context menu problem

General discussion related to "Everything".
ath8

long time running have context menu problem

Post by ath8 »

I've been encountering an issue with Everything where, after leaving the program running for an extended period, the extended items in the context menu (such as third-party software options) disappear when I right-click on a file. This problem seems to resolve temporarily when I restart Everything, but since it happens almost every day, it's becoming a bit of an inconvenience.

I'm currently using Version 1.5.0.1383a (x64), and I must say that the switch to the beta version has been a significant improvement overall. The performance enhancements, particularly in terms of speed and responsiveness, have made my experience much better compared to earlier versions. The faster search results and quicker indexing have exceeded my expectations. However, despite these improvements, this recurring context menu issue detracts from the otherwise seamless experience. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on why this might be happening and how to address it. Since the beta has otherwise been so impressive, resolving this issue would make the experience even better.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and for the continued development of this fantastic tool!
void
Developer

Re: long time running have context menu problem

Post by void »

When the extended context menu fails to show could you please capture a debug log:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Start debug logging.
  • Right click an item that is not showing the extended context menu.
  • From the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop debug logging.
    ---This will open your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt in Notepad.
  • Please upload this file here: /bugreport

Please try toggling non-Microsoft context menu shell extensions with ShellExView.
Please let us know which extension is causing stability issues.

To disable context menu shell extensions in Everything (not what you want -but I'm listing it here anyway):
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    context
  • Select: context_menu_shell_extensions
  • Set the value to: false
  • Click OK.
therube

Re: long time running have context menu problem

Post by therube »

running for an extended period
How long is an "extended period"?